www.monumentaustralia.org.au

1876 Landing PartyPrint Page Print this page

1876 Landing Party
1876 Landing Party

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The anchor was salvaged from local waters for the Cairns Centenary as a memorial to the early mariners. The anchor is located near the site of the first landing of the official founding party of the Port of Cairns on 6 October 1876. 

In October 1876 the Porpoise arrived in Trinity Bay with a postmaster and customs officers aboard. The government was not slow in responding to the establishment of a new settlement. The public servants cut out an area for themselves near where The Esplanade now stands. At the time the whole area was covered with dense scrub. On 1 November Trinity Bay was declared a port of entry and clearance. It was renamed after the then Governor of Queensland, Sir William Cairns.

Location

Address:The Esplanade, Fogarty Park, Cairns, 4870
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -16.921111
Long: 145.779444
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event STart Date:06-October-1876
Actual Event End Date:06-October-1876

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1976
Front Inscription

Plaque:
     On this spot 
the Official Founding Party 
        of the
  Port of Cairns 
       landed.
6th October 1876

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design