Pioneers of the Finke RiverPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the pioneers of the Finke River and also the first motor car to arrive at the station in 1917.
In 1875 Parkes and Walker applied for the Finke country to establish a cattle station, which they named after their homeland in England. In 1877 the first homestead was built at Ellery Creek and the 2,130 square miles was declared theirs. A log cabin was built on the banks of the Finke River in 1886 and became the new homestead on Henbury, which still stands today. The Beadon family took over in the early 1900's and continued to manage Henbury for many years.
|Address:||Stuart Highway, Henbury Station, Henbury, 0872|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -24.552003|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1917|
[ Names ]
To the memory of the above pioneers of the Finke.
This plate was erected by J. A. Breaden Esq. 1917.
First motor car property of J. A. Breaden Esq.
Driven by C. Woodward.
Arrived here, 10-4-17.