York Town MonumentPrint Page
Monument commemorates the site of the first permanent settlement in Northern Tasmania.
York Town is the site of the first attempt to establish a British presence in northern Tasmania. For a brief period between 1804 & 1808 Colonel William Paterson and his party of settlers, soldiers and convicts created a small, bustling village and established farms and a government garden at York Town. They faced many difficulties stock losses, poor soil, food shortages and episodes of robbery, bushranging and piracy.
|Address:||Bowens Road, York Town, 7270|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.151719|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1804|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 14th November, 1954|