Polish ImmigrantsPrint Page
A monument commemorates the Polish Immigrants who contributed forty years of service to the Hydro Electric Commission in Tasmania.
The first of these migrants arrived in Tasmania in 1947 to work on the Clark Dam at Butlers Gorge, and to begin work on the new scheme which had received Parliamentary approval in 1947, the new Nive River Scheme.
This included a second power station on the Nive River just upstream from the Tarraleah Station, but drawing water from a totally different watershed. This was to be known as Tungatinah, with work on the upstream control of water in the form of a series of dams, canals and lagoons centred at a new site at Bronte. Work on the Tungatinah end of the scheme was to be organised from Tarraleah.
|Address:||Lyell Highway, Power Station Nive River, Tarraleah, 7140|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.29874|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
This plaque has been erected in honor of the Polish immigrants, who contributed 40 years of service to the H.E.C. and the State of Tasmania. Erected in our Bicentennial Year 1988