www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Tasmanian PioneersPrint Page Print this page

Tasmanian Pioneers : 19-January-2013
Tasmanian Pioneers : 19-January-2013

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

Memorial stone dedicated to Tasmanian Pioneers who arrived before 1835. The stone was presented by the 50,000 League.

The view was expressed by the Lord Mayor of Hobart (Mr. J. J. Wignall), when speaking at the dedication of the stone erected to the memory of the pioneers of Tasmania in St. David's Park this afternoon, that Launceston had more civic pride than Hobart. There was a large gathering, and the 50,000 League was represented by Messrs. H. J. Solomon (chairman), H. V. Sellars (secretary), H. C, Barnard. M.H.R., and A. T. Farmilo. In the absence through indisposition of the Governor (Sir Ernest Clark), the Lieutenant-Governor (Sir Elliott Lewis) unveiled the memorial stone presented by the 50,000 League, and which bore the following inscription: "To the memory of the Pioneers of Tasmania who arrived before 1835. This ground was dedicated in the presence of their descendants on July 17, 1935."
Examiner (Launceston), 18th July 1935.

Location

Address:Davey Street, St Davids Park, Hobart, 7000
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.886136
Long: 147.328594
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 17th July, 1935
Front Inscription

To the pioneers of Tasmania who arrived before 1835 this ground was dedicated in the presence of their descendants by his Excellency Governor of Tasmania Sir Ernest Clark July 17th 1935

Plaque :

This plaque is dedicated to the memory of those who arrived in this country with Captain Arthur Phillip on the First Fleet in 1788 and were buried nearby

Fellowship of First Fleeters 1988

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design