The original Southern Cross Cemetery has been redeveloped by the Southern Cross Historical Society, with assistance from the Yilgarn Shire Council and Rotarians, as a monument to the pioneers of the Yilgarn District.
The memorial takes the form of a curved wall displaying the remaining headstones from the cemetery & includes several from the Marvel Loch Cemetery. A quartz boulder in the foreground to which the descriptive tablet is attached came from the Frazer Mine in Southern Cross.
The cemetery was only used from 1891-1898 and consequently is an important reminder of the miners and pioneers who first settled this inhospitable area. The high incidence of typhoid on the early goldfield is dramatically recalled on the headstones of many of the miners.
View Google Map
|Address:||Great Eastern Highway, Cemetery, Southern Cross , 6426|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.228611|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 5th June, 1976|Front InscriptionSource:
To the memory of the Pioneers of Southern Cross who lived in the Eastern Goldfields.
Most of these headstones were victims of typhoid and the deaths were prior to 1898.
The original narrow gauge railway passed through the Cemetery in 1894.
All available headstones were assembled and include 5 from Marvel Loch.
Erected on the site of the original Southern Cross Cemetery by the Southern Cross Historical Society and the Yilgarn Shire Council.
William Alfred MANLEIN, beloved husband of Annie Manlein
accidentally killed at Marvel Loch, 10.10.1913. Aged 38 years
Erected by his loving wife.
"As the ivy clings to the oak, so our memory clings to thee."
Inserted by his children.