100 Years of British ColonisationPrint Page
The Clackline Lion was erected in 1929 by the pupils of Clackline school and the headteacher E.W.Membery to commemorate 100 years of British colonisation in Western Australia. A plaque has been placed near the memorial in recognition of Archie H. Paton who was the sculptor of the lion.
On 1 June 1829 Lieutenant -Governor Stirling and his party arrived at Garden Island and erected the necessary buildings to protect the stores. On 18 June, Stirling and others landed on the mainland at Rous Head and formally published, both on the mainland and at Garden Island, this Proclamation constituting His Majesty's Settlement in Western Australia.
|Address:||Great Eastern Highway & Spencers Brook Road, Clackline, 6564|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.719444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Archie H Paton (sculptor-lion)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Pupils of Clackline School and headteacher E.W.Membery|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1929|
ERECTED by the PUPILS of CLACKLINE to COMMEMORATE the CENTENARY of the BRITISH COLONISATION OF WEST AUSTRALIA
MDCCCXXIX MDCCCCXXIX A D.
In recognition of Archie H. Paton
July 1898 - October 1992
Sculptor of the lion on this Western Australian Centennial cairn