St Elizabeth`s Anglican ChurchPrint Page
St Elizabeth`s Anglican Church is a memorial to the pioneers of the district.
In 1939, a fund was established to move the Eticup Church to Broomehill and rebuild it as a memorial to pioneers in the district. World War Two interrupted the plan, but it was re-established in 1948. Funds were raised through various stalls, a ball, and by cropping a paddock made available on `Ulupna`, a property owned by Mr Bert Patton. Labour and equipment for the planting and harvesting were donated by the residents of Broomehill. This paddock became known locally as the Church Paddock. Approximately £2,000 was raised for the church fund.
Instead of rebuilding the Eticup church, they decided to purchase the old Police Station and Courthouse and convert it into a church. The purchase went ahead, with an offer of £450, and plans for the alterations were drawn up by Forbes and Fitzhardinge. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 18 April 1953, by Mr and Mrs V. Greenslade, who were 'active church-people'. St Elizabeth’s Anglican Church was consecrated the 'Church of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary' on 25 July 1953. The altar was built with bricks from the old Eticup Church.
On October 8 a reception was tendered to the Bishop of Bunbury (Dr. Knight) by members of the Anglican community at Broomehill. The main business of the evening was to consider a proposal to remove St. Peter's Anglican Church from Ettacup and re-erect it in Broomehill. A committee of ways and means was appointed for that purpose. The settlement of Ettacup, some four miles from Broomehill, flourished about the middle of the eighties, but declined when the Great Southern railway passed through Broomehill. Ettacup church was built by the settlers in 1885 and was consecrated by Bishop Parry. It was also used by the Education Department until 1892, when the present school at Broomehill was opened. At present the church is in disrepair and the proposal to transfer it, brick by brick, to serve the Anglican community and also as a memorial to the pioneers of the district is receiving much support. Donations for a restoration fund have been received and the Broomehill Road Board has offered to transport the material.
The West Australian, 12th October 1940.
|Address:||Janitor & Davine Streets, Broomehill, 6318|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.846667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th July, 1953|