Port Neill CentenaryPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the settlement of Port Neill.
The first settlers arrived in 1873 when John Tennant and his son Andrew took up land around the bay, then known as Mottled Cove. The town was first called Carrow and was gazetted in 1903 and laid out in January 1909 by surveyor William Greig Evans. The name 'Carrow' came from an Aboriginal word relating to a soakage rock hole. Some confusion was caused by the similarity of the name to the locality of Warrow (near Coulta on south-western Eyre Peninsula) and the town was renamed Port Neill on 19 September 1940. The name of the town honours a Warden of the Marine Board, Andrew Sinclair Neill.
|Address:||Peake Terrace, Foreshore, Port Neill, 5604|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.117414|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 4th October, 2008|