Pioneer Women`s Memorial Garden Print Page
The Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden was established by the women of South Australia as a tribute to the pioneer women of the state in 1941. The garden was designed by landscape designer Elsie Cornish and the statue created by Ola Cohn was unveiled by Lady Muriel Barclay-Harvey on the 19 April 1941. A time recorder designed by Government Astronomer George Dodwell is located on the left side of the statue.
The Memorial Garden was paid for by the Women's Centenary Council of South Australia. The Women’s Centenary Council (WCC) comprised representatives of 72 women’s organizations and in March 1935 met to discuss projects for South Australia’s 1936 centenary.
There was strong support for a memorial to early women settlers especially those who had endured so much in the outback area. It was decided that the memorial should not be a burden on future generations of women. Adelaide Miethke conceived of a ‘Book of Remembrance` to raise funds, each sponsor, for the cost of one shilling recording her name and those of her ancestors on the Leaves of Remembrance. The completed book contained more than 20,000 names and raised over £1000 pounds. However most of the funds came from fetes, competitions, bridge parties, sports carnivals and other events. A total of £6250 was raised and this was dedicated in 1937 to establishing a Flying sister base at Alice Springs, and £1000 for a Pioneer Women’s Garden of Remembrance, to be given to the Adelaide City Council.
|Address:||King William Road, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.918455|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Ola Cohn (sculptor), Elsie Cornish (landscape designer)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th April, 1941|
This garden of remembrance and the Flying Doctor base at Alice Springs were established in the centenary year , 1936 by the women of South Australia as a tribute to the pioneer women of the State
The hours vanish yet they are recorded
THE HOURS VANISH YET THEY ARE RECORDED
This garden and the Flying Doctor base at Alice Springs commemorate the pioneer women of South Australia 1836 - 1936
Pioneer Women`s Memorial Garden
Opened 19th April 1941
Adelaide L. Miethke O.B.E.
Phebe N. Watson O.B.E.
Dorothy B. C. Dolling O.B.E.
Francis M. McGuire A.M.
18th November 2002