Pioneer MemorialPrint Page
Erected by the Ringwood Historical Research Group to honour the pioneer settlers of Ringwood, and to remember the 200th anniversary of the birth of Matthew Flinders.
The non-Aboriginal recorded history of the district which has become Ringwood commenced not long after the establishment of Melbourne in 1834. Squatters, timber getters and explorers made their way eastwards from the village of Melbourne, variously following the Yarra River or Dandenong Creek, towards the timber of the Dandenong Ranges or the grazing and agricultural lands of Gippsland.
The first land sale in Ringwood took place around 1854 with parcels of 640 acres (one square mile) selling for one pound per acre.
|Address:||Warrandyte Road, Ringwood Library, Ringwood, 3134|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.816389|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th October, 1974|
We also commemorate the labour of Ringwood`s first settlers who followed the Discoverers, Explorers and Surveyors, cleared the forested hills and ploughed the hard ground before planting their orchards.
Erected by the Ringwood Historical Research Group, 26th October 1974, on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of Ringwood`s severance from Lillydale Shire