www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Nhill Centenary MemorialPrint Page Print this page

27-November-2014
27-November-2014

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A monument commemorates 100 years of settlement and honours the pioneers.

The first hotel, a general store and drapery were constructed in the town in 1880. A police report indicated 80-100 people at the townsite in July 1880 with another 450-600 people within a radius of about 7 kilometres. 

The next few years saw rapid development with the addition of a bank, mechanics' institute, foundry, shire offices, the Nhill Free Press, a cordial factory, more churches and hotels, a state school, a land office, an hospital, an agricultural equipment manufactory, a courthouse, a brewery and many private residences. Rabbit plagues and wild dogs followed by wheat rust frustrated the efforts of many local pioneers in the 1880s, although Nhill benefited from the arrival of the railway in 1886.

Location

Address:Victoria & Rintoule Streets, Nhill, 3418
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.337014
Long: 141.64336
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1880
Approx. Event End Date:1980

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 31st March, 1980
Front Inscription

This memorial was unveiled by the Shire President Cr J. R. Dickinson, on the 31st March 1980.

To commemorate 100 years of settlement and progress and honouring the pioneers of the Township of Nhill.

Erected by the Nhill Centenary Committee

President, M.J. Meek M.B.E.
Secretary, Mrs J.W. Bullen
Treasurer, A.A. Sinclair.

Source: MA,RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design