Leongatha PioneersPrint Page Print this page

Leongatha Pioneers
Leongatha Pioneers

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson
Gates commemorates local pioneers. Europeans first moved into the area in 1845 and settlers began to clear the huge mountain ash trees from the environment in the 1870s. Dairying became important in the area in the 1880s. It received a considerable boost with the exporting opportunities provided by the arrival of the railway in 1891. During the recession which followed the land boom of the 1880s the government sought ways to alleviate unemployment and the dangers believed to be associated with it. Influenced by German examples they decided to establish a labour colony and selected Leongatha as a site, due principally to the large forests of blue gum and messmate considered to be in need of destruction by locals. The colony was intended to be self-supporting. Twelve men arrived in 1893 and were housed in tents. From that time until 1903, when it was closed due to the completion of the clearing project, 6000 men passed through the colony. The land was subdivided for soldier settlement after World War One


Address:Roughead Street, Showgrounds, Leongatha, 3953
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.477222
Long: 145.9475
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1951
Front Inscription
1951 In memory of the district pioneers
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design