Deep Lead Pioneer MemorialPrint Page
Brick memorial contains a mural of two miners working on a puddling machine flanked by a goat (insisted on by the remaining pioneers to represent the value of their milk and meet) and a sheep.
During 1856, a small rush took place at "Forty Foot Hill", near where Commercial Street was later established. While work was going on here a rich discovery was made at Deep Lead, a short distance from where the North and South Wales mining Company Crushing Plant was later established. In 1857 and 1858, it was one of the busiest places in the country districts of the Colony.
As the rush of diggers increased at Deep Lead, Cobb & Co`s coaches began to run daily, bring gold buyers by the numbers, to purchase the plentiful amounts of gold offering for sale.
|Address:||Western Highway, Deep Lead, 3381|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.010466|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Stanley Hammond (sculptor) Miss K Kirkwood sketched the design|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 8th May, 1937|
Erected in memory of the early pioneers of Deep Lead by a grateful public of 1936