Pioneers MemorialPrint Page
Memorial Tower commemorates the pioneers of Daylesford.
In 1848, Irish immgrant John Egan took up land on the future townsite (then known as `Wombat Flat`). He and a party of searchers found alluvial gold in 1851 on ground now covered by Lake Daylesford, thereby initiating the local goldrush. Other finds quickly followed. Two or three hundred diggers were reported in the area in 1852.
A townsite was surveyed in 1854. Initially called Wombat, it was soon renamed by Sir Charles Hotham after the English birthplace of Warren Hastings, the first governor-general of India.
|Address:||Central Springs Road, Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens, Daylesford, 3460|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.343352|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||J. Peck|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th November, 1938|
This tower dedicated to the pioneers of Daylesford and District was declared open by His Excellency Lord Huntingfield K.C.M.G. on Nov. 18. 1938
Mayor T. A. Whiteley.
Archt E. J. Peck
Town Clerk G. Cook