Bright Centenary CairnPrint Page
Cairn commemorates the centenary of the foundation of Bright.
Explored, like so much of Victoria, by Hume and Hovell in 1824, the first pastoral runs in the Bright area were taken up in the late 1830s - one of them by Hume`s brother-in-law, Dr Mackay, whose difficulties with the local Aborigines caused him to move to another property.
In 1845, Thomas Buckland established the area`s first cattle run near the river which was later to bear his name. The real development of the district began in 1853, when W.H. Pardoe discovered gold along the Buckland River. In 1861, the town became the administrative centre for the swelling population of the Buckland Gold District. Shortly afterwards, its name was officially changed to honour John Bright, a British liberal politician and advocate of free trade.
|Address:||Mountbatten Avenue, Centenary Park, Bright, 3741|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.726079|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 10th March, 1962|
Bright Centenary Cairn 1862 - 1962
Erected in honour of the pioneers unveiled by the Hon. A. G. Rylah E.d, M.L.A. Deputy Premier of Victoria 10th March 1962