Burwood OrangemenPrint Page
Commemorates the pioneer Orangemen of the Burwood District.
The first Orange Lodges in Victoria were formed in 1843 and 1847, the direct result of civil unrest by sections of the local Roman Catholic community. The civil unrest followed the democratic election of a Protestant to represent the Port Phillip District in the first New South Wales Parliament. Open voting at election then existed, so that each party knew how the other voted. The conduct of many Roman Catholics at this election so aroused the Protestants that they resolved to band themselves together for mutual protection "and to resist in the future the lawless conduct of the Popish mob."
In June 1867, the two branches of Orangeism operating in Victoria merged to form the Loyal Orange Institution of Victoria, which continues to function successfully, currently with some 30 subordinate lodges.
|Address:||325 Station Street, Loyal Orange Hall, Box Hill South, 3128|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.834557|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 10th November, 1956|
This memorial was unveiled by Very Wor. Bro. F. Hadkinson H.D.G.M. on 10th November 1956 to commemorate the spirit of the pioneer Orangemen of the Burwood district