Sassafras Creek GravesPrint Page
Monument and plaque commemorates the site of the Sassafras Creek graves.
The Sassafras Creek gold diggings were opened with a rush in 1868, when some 150 diggers were camped on Sassafras and Saltpetre Creeks. A small settlement boasting an hotel grew up adjacent to where the cemetery now stands. Known as Sunny Point, it was occupied intermittenly until the 1930`s. Another rush took place in 1878. The plaque has 6 names - John Smith Miller died 29.6.1869, William Miller died 1.9.1874, Charlie Blevin (An American Red Indian), John Brown, Mrs Lawrence and her infant, Simeon (Simmie) Davies died March 1896.
|Address:||Benambra-Corryong Road, Cemetery, Sassafras Creek, Nariel Valley , 3707|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.641737|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Omeo and Upper Murray Historical Societies|