Wyong Pioneers Print Page
Park and plaque dedicated during the centenary celebrations in memory of the pioneer men and women of Wyong.
European settlement began in 1825 when William Cape, a Headmaster of Sydney Public School, and his two sons were granted land in the Wyong district. One of the son`s properties, Wyong Place or Wyong Hill, incorporated the future townsite, hence the name of the town. In the proceeding years timber getters moved into the Yarramalong and Dooralong Valleys to exploit the cedar forests that grew in the area, though transporting the timber from the isolated area was problematic. Other farmers also began to settle locally.
|Address:||River Road, Wyong Centennial Park, Wyong, 2259|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.288056|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1887|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1987|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 16th August, 1987|
This plaque was unveiled
Cr Stephen L Cutler
On the occasion of the Wyong Township
16th August 1987
This plaque is dedicated to the pioneer men
and women of Wyong