Wilton Township CentenaryPrint Page
Commemorates the centenary of the township.
When the Great South Road to Sutton Forest and Argyle County (Goulburn area) was planned in the late 1820s, Major Mitchell - the famed explorer - took up a land grant previously promised to him - in the Wilton area, in the expectation the road would pass by it. Mitchell, like many other early landowners, also saw himself as a lord of the manor in the English tradition, and leased out part of his estate to tenant farmers (1846). A public school was built at Wilton in 1871 and a small Roman Catholic denominational school nearby, which closed for lack of numbers a few years later. Other schools were also operated temporarily during the boom period which saw the construction of the Cordeaux Dam.
|Address:||Hornby Street & Broughton Street, Wilton Recreation Reserve, Wilton, 2571|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.236667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||20-March-1885|
|Actual Event End Date:||20-March-1985|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 23rd March, 1985|