125th Anniversary of Werris Creek Print Page Print this page

Werris Creek 125th Anniversary
Werris Creek 125th Anniversary

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

A tree commemorates the 125th Anniversary of Werris Creek and the railway.

The town proper developed in 1877 when 500 'navvies'  set up temporary housing whilst extending the railway line from Murrurundi to Tamworth. When it was decided to build a branch line to Gunnedah (north-west) the town became a rail junction and a maintenance centre. A post office was established in 1877 and the railway was officially opened the following year. Even the coal mine, which commenced operations in 1925, revolved around the railways, being established to supply fuel for the steam engines although it was inevitably closed (in 1963) after diesel trains emerged.


Address:Single Street (Werris Creek Road), Junction Park, Werris Creek, 2341
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.349316
Long: 150.646891
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1877
Approx. Event End Date:2002


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 6th October, 2002
Front Inscription

This Crabapple tree was planted on 6th October 2002 by Tony Windsor B.Ec. MP

To commemorate the 125th Anniversary of the Werris Creek town & railway

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design