A statue of a Wallaby commemorates settlement in Wallabadah.
Wallabadah became a soldier settlement location after World War Two and residents in the town, known locally as "Wallaby", erected a sculpture of a wallaby sitting on a rock as a bicentennial project in 1988.
The first European settlers began squatting in the district around 1830 and the Wallabadah Station (44 000 acres) was taken up about 1835. A village emerged which was of some importance in the 1850s, being located at the road junction of the mail coaches which came from the north and north-west. The town was also of some importance as a service centre for the surrounding area. However, it was surpassed by Quirindi when the railway arrived at the latter in 1877. Wallabadah became a soldier settlement location after World War II.
|Address:||New England Highway, Wallabadah, 2343|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.538056|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 2nd January, 1988|
This Statue Has Been Erected In
Australia`s Bicentennial Year
By The Wallabadah Community
To Commemorate The Families
Whose Courage And Hard Work
Opened Up This District From
Earliest Recorded Settlement
In 1835 To Present Day.
2nd January, 1988.
W. F. (Fred) USFELLER
In His Hundredth Year.