Tuncurry CentenaryPrint Page
Monument erected in 1975 commemorates the centenary of the founding of Tuncurry by John Wright, Abraham Mills, Andrew Delore and Harry Colvin.
Tuncurry was known as North Forster until 1875 when John Wright, his foreman, a sawyer and a builder set up camp there in 1875. They established cordial relations with the local Aborigines and adopted their place-name of `Tuncurry` which is thought to mean `good fishing place`. At that time Tuncurry consisted largely of tea-tree swamp and cabbage tree palms. By 1878 Wright had established a sawmill, a store, a shipbuilding yard and houses for his employees. He established a school in what is now Peel St which was replaced by a government school in 1881 and the settlement`s first church (the Latter Day Saints) opened in the old school room. A Catholic Church was built in 1888 and a post office opened at Tuncurry in 1889. The settlement was proclaimed a village in 1893.
|Address:||Manning Street, John Wright Park, Tuncurry, 2428|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.178787|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1875|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1875|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1975|