www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of MorpethPrint Page Print this page

29-August-2018
29-August-2018

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The monument commemorates the 150th anniversary (1821 -1971) of the founding of Morpeth by Edward Charles Close, the first settler.

Edward Charles Close settled on his 1036 hectare grant, Illulaung, the place of green hills, which adjoined the government reserve for the township of Morpeth, at the head of navigation of the Hunter River.
 

Location

Address:Swan & Northumberland Streets, Court House, Morpeth, 2321
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.724966
Long: 151.627015
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1821
Approx. Event End Date:1971

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1971
Front Inscription

1821  1971

This stone commemorates the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the founding of Morpeth.

It was unveiled by Alderman Alfred Appelby of Morpeth England and Alderman Ray Lawler of Morpeth Australia on November 20th. 1971

Edward Charles Close, the first settler and founder of this town landed near this spot in 1821.

Erected by the Morpeth and Districts Progress association.

Source: H,MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design