Jerilderie Explorers, Pioneers & DevelopersPrint Page
Monument erected in memory of such people as A.Morris, F.A Gwynne and Walker who explored the district in 1842; James Kennedy and Broughman and Woodford who obtained pastoral licences in 1847 and John Powell who built an inn in 1854 or 1858. The monument consists of three polished brass plaques, the top plaque containing the inscription while the two bottom plaques contain a map with details of the land holdings inscribed.
The birth of the town of Jerilderie itself is traced to the establishment of a house and store by John Carracticus Powell in 1854. He was apparently encouraged and assisted by the Kennedy Family to establish his home and business in what is known today as Powell Street, Jerilderie. He also opened the Travellers' Rest Inn. The first building on the current townsite it later became the Albion Inn and is still standing. Following an application from John C. Powell in 1863 a Surveyor was instructed to survey and report on the Jerilderie Village site. As a consequence of this report ,the Village of Jerilderie and suburban boundaries were gazetted on the 14th March, 1865.
|Address:||35 Jerilderie Street, Shire Council Chambers, Jerilderie, 2716|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.355468|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1960|