Pioneers Monument (Shadforth Monument)Print Page
The Pioneers Monument was originally erected over the Shadforth family crypt at the St. Marks Church, Greendale and was moved in 1980 to this location by the council as a tribute to the pioneers of the district.
Greendale settlement between 1815 and 1869 was a thriving community of 200 people, mostly working on 10 and 25 acre farms. However, the outbreak of wheat rust between 1836 and 1861 caused many farmers to leave the district. During the early 20th century the village gradually declined, the bakery and slaughterhouse closed by 1907, the post office in 1915 and the school in 1925.
The Shadforth family were prominent pioneer settlers in the area. Thomas Shadforth, a veteran of the Peninsular Campaign of the Napoleonic Wars settled the west bank of the Nepean River at "Ravenswood", near Wallacia in 1831. This property still exists although the house itself is now derelict. The monument originally marked the family burials in the former St Mark`s Church Cemetery at Greendale . Following private purchase of the church and subsequent conversion of the cemetery, the monument was transferred to its present location north of the cemetery.
|Address:||Greendale Road, Northern End, Greendale, 2745|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.908157|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
This monument which was originally erected over the Shadforth Family Crypt within the St Mark`s Church Cemetery was moved to this location by council and re-erected as a tribute to the early pioneers of the district, in November 1980.
"In Memory of Thomas Shadforth.
Formerly Lieut Colonel of H M 57th Regt Who Departed this life 4th August 1862 aged 90 years and of Frances His Wife who died at Ravenwood 6th October 1850 Aged 79 Years"