Soldiers Flat Memorial Print Page
A memorial commemorates the first semi permanent settlement on the Lachlan River which was previously occupied by the local Wiradjuri people.
The locality known as Soldiers Flat was so named because of the establishment c.1820 of a military depot at this location. The military depot preceded the arrival of white settlers to an area that had long been inhabited by the Wiradjuri aboriginal people of Australia. Pioneers of the Soldiers Flat area were buried in a private cemetery on the property of the Green and Brierley families who settled in this area c.1840. This memorial has been erected nearby as a tribute to their memory. Several information signs have been displayed, together with a list of all persons known to have been buried in this cemetery from as early as 1862.
|Address:||Harding Lane, Soldiers Flat Memorial Cemetery, Billimari, 2804|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.681389|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Canowindra Historical Society|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1984|
A TRIBUTE TO THE MEMORY OF THE PIONEERS
OF THE SOLDIERS FLAT LOCALITY BURIED A
SHORT DISTANCE EASTWARD. NAMES
INCLUDE THE GREEN AND BRIERLEY
FAMILIES WHO SETTLED HERE
IN APPROX. 1840