Charleyong PioneersPrint Page
Monument to pioneers of Charleyong.
Charleyong, originally known as Taylor`s village, was a flourishing alluvial mining and agricultural settlement from about 1854 until the early years of the twentieth century. William Taylor`s store at the heart of the settlement, sold general provisions and diggers equipment. There was a butcher next door. In March 1871 the storekeeper also became the Postmaster. The store and Post Office survived until the late 1890`s when, the gold being worked out, miners and their families were leaving the district. The site of Charleyong village and cemetery is situated within lands now owned by the Sydney Catchment Authority. There are 51 burials dated between 1864 and 1904 recorded at Charleyong.
|Address:||Uabba Road, Braidwood Cemetery, Braidwood, 2622|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.450074|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th January, 2009|