www.monumentaustralia.org.au

First Crown Land SalesPrint Page Print this page

04-April-2019
04-April-2019

Photographs supplied by Isaac Herman

The plaque marks the site of the first block of land sold in the first Crown Land sale in St Kilda in December 1842.

 

Location

Address:Fitzroy & Acland Streets, Summerland Mansions, St Kilda, 3182
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.862215
Long: 144.973654
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event STart Date:07-December-1842
Actual Event End Date:07-December-1842

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 24th March, 1985
Front Inscription

This plaque marks the site of the first block of land sold in the first Crown Land sales in St. Kilda

7th December 1842

The buyer was Lieut. James Ross Lawrence, R.N. Captain of the schooner `Lady of St. Kilda`

He named Acland Street after Sir Thomas Dyke Acland owner of the `Lady of St. Kilda`

This plaque was unveiled by Commander R. S. Veale R.A.N. (Retd), C. M. G. for St. Kilda City Council

24th March, 1985.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design