www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Old Brown Coal Mine Museum Print Page Print this page

17-March-2019
17-March-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The Old Brown Coal Mine Museum is dedicated to the early settlers of the Brown Coal Mine, the families, and current and future residents. 

This building in Yallourn North was known to many local people as the YMCA or youth club hall. It’s a relatively young building compared with others around the state of Victoria.  Built in 1948 for the former State Electricity Commission of Victoria, the building was used as a recreation building for the residents of the single men’s camp. In 1999 the Society made enquiries to Latrobe City Council to use the building, and in October 2000 work started to restore the building. With support from local industry, Latrobe City Council, community groups and society members the renovations were completed in sixteen months.

The building was officially opened on the 21st of April 2001 (sic) by Ian Maxfield MP. Immediately following the official opening a dedication ceremony was conducted. Two former residents of Brown Coal Mine, the late Kath Ringin and the late George Seear dedicated the building to the early settlers of Brown Coal Mine, their families, current and future residents. 
Yallourn North & District Historical Society, Old Brown Coal Mine Museum. 


Note: The above information from the Historical Society states that the building was opened on the 21st April 2001. The plaques state that the opening and dedication were performed in April 2002.

Location

Address:12-16 Third Street, Old Brown Coal Mine Museum, Yallourn North , 3825
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.164322
Long: 146.364197
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:April-2002
Front Inscription

Plaque:
YALLOURN NORTH & DISTRICT
HISTORICAL SOCIETY

OLD BROWN COAL MINE MUSEUM

THE MUSEUM IS DEDICATED TO THE EARLY 
SETTLERS OF THE BROWN COAL MINE, 
THEIR FAMILIES, CURRENT AND FUTURE RESIDENTS. 

(BCM - RENAMED YALLOURN NORTH IN 1947)

DEDICATION OFFICIATED BY
KATH RINGIN & GEORGE SEEAR
APRIL 2002

Plaque:
OLD BROWN COAL MINE MUSEUM
OFFICIALLY OPENED BY :

IAN MAXFIELD, MP
MEMBER FOR NARRACAN 

APRIL 2002

Victoria                   Community Support Fund    Latrobe City
The Place To Be            Victoria                             a new energy




 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design