www.monumentaustralia.org.au

First Settlement of Norfolk IslandPrint Page Print this page

12-March-2018
12-March-2018

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The monument commemorates the pioneers of the first settlement on Norfolk Island undertaken by Lieutenant Philip Gidley King in March 1788.

When the First Fleet arrived at Port Jackson in January 1788, Phillip ordered Lieutenant Philip Gidley King to lead a party of 15 convicts and seven free men, including surgeon Thoams Jamison (the future Principal Surgeon of New South Wales), to take control of the island and prepare for its commercial development. They arrived on 6 March 1788.

During the first year of the settlement, which was also called "Sydney" like its parent, more convicts and soldiers were sent to the island from New South Wales. A second village was started at Ball Bay, named after the captain of HMS Supply, Lieutenant Henry Lidgbird Ball.


 


 

Location

Address:Pier Street, Kingston Pier, Norfolk Island, 2899
State:NSW
Area:AUS

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event STart Date:06-March-1788
Actual Event End Date:06-March-1788

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:March-1970
Front Inscription

Lieutenant Philip Gidley King, Royal Navy, together with seven free persons, six female convicts and nine male convicts landed near this spot on 6th. March, 1788 to form the second British settlement in the South Pacific.

This monument honouring the memory of these pioneers was erected by the Norfolk Island Historical Society in March 1970 and unveiled by Herbert Metcalfe King Nobbs a descendant of Lt. P. G. King.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design