www.monumentaustralia.org.au

John Dowaie & Early SettlersPrint Page Print this page

16-August-2017
16-August-2017

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The Jandowae Community and Cultural Centre was erected to commemorate John Dowaie and the pioneers of the Jandowae District.

 In the early 1870s, a man by the name of John Dowaie leased a holding paddock here and established a store. Drovers and teamsters would lease the paddock to rest their stock and Jindowie became known as 'John Dowaie Camp' amongst travellers. When the railway branch line extended to the settlement in 1914, it was renamed 'Jandowae' to avoid confusion with nearby Jondaryan. The railway brought with it new commercial and economic opportunities and our township sprang to life. 

 

Location

Address:22 George Street, Jandowae Community & Cultural Centre, Jandowae, 4410
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.781269
Long: 151.110269
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 9th June, 2001
Front Inscription

Jandowae Community & Cultural Centre

Erected in memory of John Dowaie and the early settlers & pioneers of the Jandowae District

Opened Saturday 9th June 2001 by Hon Henry Palaszczuk Minister for Primary Industries and Rural Communities

Mayor Cr Robert McG Wild
CEO   Mr Colin A O`Connor





 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design