www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of Tanilba Bay Print Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A plaque on the centre pillar of the Tanilba Bay gates commemorates the 150th anniversary of the settlement of Tanilba Bay. The name of Henry Halloran, the designer of the gates is also inscribed on the left pillar.
 
The first settler in the area was Lieutenant William Caswell who was granted 50 acres of land at Tanilba in 1831 in recognition of his military service in the Royal Navy.
 
Using convict labour, William Caswell laid the foundations of Tanilba House in 1837. It was built of quartz porphyry stone which was quarried nearby. The mortar came from the lime produced by burning oysters. Vineyeards, gardens and a dairy were estabishled on the estate. We previously visited the homestead on one of the days when it is open to the public. It is a fantastic place retaining its charm of yesteryear.
 
In 1931 Tanilba House was owned by Henry Halloran who designed such structures as "The Temple", which is behind Tanilba House on the road leading to the house, and the elaborate gates at what were then the north and south entrances to the town.

Location

Address:Avenue of the Allies & Poilus Parade, Tanilba Bay, 2319
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.737042
Long: 151.998455
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1831
Approx. Event End Date:1981

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1981
Front Inscription
TANILBA BAY 
150 YEARS
1831-1981
CR.B.MACKENZIE
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design