200th Anniversary of the Naming of Churchill IslandPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A plaque commemorates the 200th anniversary of the naming of Churchill Island in 1801 and the official opening of the historic precinct. 

In 1801, navigator James Grant visited Churchill Island (which he named) and had some of his convict crew fell some trees and build a blockhouse. They cultivated a patch of soil and Grant planted seeds of wheat, corn, potatoes, peas, coffee berries, apples, peaches and nectarines given to him for the purpose of creating a garden "for the future benefit of our fellow men be they Countrymen, Europeans or Savages" by John Churchill of Dawlish in Devon, England. This was the first European garden and crop of wheat grown in Victoria. 


Address:Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Churchill Island (off Phillip Island) , Newhaven, 3925
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.499777
Long: 145.337963
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1801
Approx. Event End Date:2001


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 24th March, 2001
Front Inscription

In commemoration of the 200 Year anniversary of the naming of Churchill Island and the official opening of the Historic Precinct of Churchill Island by the Hon Steve Bracks, MP, Premier of Victoria on 24th March 2001

Phillip Island Nature Park

This plaque donated by the Friends of Churchill Island Society Inc. 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design