Settler`s WharfPrint Page
A park commemorates those who pioneered industry and settled in the Latrobe District.
|Address:||Bells Parade, Latrobe, 7307|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.230189|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 26th January, 1954|
This site was a port from the 1830`s until 1923. Vessels up to 150 tons regularly shipped out potatoes in vast quantities and timber, coal, wattlebark, wheat and wool. There was also much shipbuilding. The port was the busiest about 1885 when Latrobe was the north-western rail- head
A spur line ran to the wharves. A famous name in shipping was Holyman whose early vessels traded here. Men and ships and their endeavours are record in detail in " With the Pioneers" (Charles Ramsay), in "Prints From The Past", "Pioneer Shipping in Tasmania" (L. Norman) and in displays at the Latrobe Museum. National Trust.
To honour the memory of early mariners who sailed their ships to this port. Their enterprise pioneered the shipping services that now exist on the Mersey.
To the memory of William Gore Elliston and family ; early pioneers of the apple industry in the Latrobe District
In memory of the Yorkshire born Rockliff Brothers : Henry, George, Francis and John. Their foresight, courage & determination from 1857 onwards showed the way. They turned hitherto impenetrable forest into what Sassafras is today.
1795 - 1874.
A Welsh mining reformist, he was sentenced to Van Diemens Land. From convict to overseer to ownership on the Mersey coal fields and a distinguished citizen.
To honour the memory of Dr. Marcus R. Loane who tended the health of early settlers and of his sons - Marucs and Richard - pioneering farmers of these districts from 1843.