www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Longford Heritage AvenuePrint Page Print this page

17-February-2015
17-February-2015

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland
An avenue of trees, which was a community project in 1988, commemorates the pioneers of the Longford District.  

In 1806 the first Europeans, Jacob Mountgarrett and Ensign Hugh Piper, passed through the area, and in the following year Lieutenant Thomas Laycock camped near the current site of the town during his overland journey from Launceston to Hobart.

Settlers started to arrive in 1807 as farmers were moved from Norfolk Island to Van Diemen`s Land(the original name used by Europeans for Tasmania). Governor Macquarie granted land rights to the settlers, who originally called the area Norfolk Plains. The town, originally called Latour, grew up around the hotel (later known as the Longford Hotel) which was built in 1827 by Newman Williatt. In 1833 the town was renamed Longford. Settlers used free convict labour to build some fine houses and estates. Prominent among the early settlers, the Archer family built a number of grand houses and estates in the area.

Location

Address:Cressy Road & Catherine Street, Coronation Park, Longford, 7301
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.614737
Long: 147.111578
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Trees
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 23rd January, 1988
Front Inscription

THE LONGFORD HERITAGE AVENUE
A Community Project To Honour
The Pioneers Of This District
23rd January, 1988.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design