Pioneers Settlers Print Page
Stump jump plough is a memorial to pioneers who settled in the district between 1876 and 1976.
The townsite was laid out in 1839 and took its name from the schooner 'Victoria'. In August 1876 a township called 'Wauraltee' was officially proclaimed on the site. The town, however, was commonly known as Port Victoria and this name was officially given to the town by the government in September 1940.
A jetty was built in 1878 to attract the shipping trade. Clippers would anchor off the coast at Wardang Island while schooners and ketches loaded the cargo at the jetty and transferred it to the larger overseas vessels offshore.
|Address:||Main Street, Median Strip, Port Victoria , 5573|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.498145|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1876|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1976|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1976|