Suspension Bridge - Historic Bridges of New South WalesPrint Page
An Historic Bridges of New South Wales plaque commemorates the nation`s bicentenary in 1988.
The bicentenary of Australia was celebrated in 1988. It marked 200 years since the arrival of the First Fleet of British convict ships at Sydney in 1788. 1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. The Australian Bicentennial Authority (ABA) was set up to plan, fund and coordinate projects that emphasized the nation's cultural heritage.
The Suspension Bridge over Long Bay gully was completed in January 1892 as one of Sydney’s engineering wonders. The North Sydney Investment & Tramway Company was initiated in 1887 by Andrew Armstrong, an interested landowner, and James Alexander Brown to provide tramway access to the Middle Harbour peninsulas.
The Bridge's engineers, W H Warren and J E F Coyle, chose an ornate suspension structure which was the largest of its type in Australia at the time and the fourth largest in the world. It was designed by New Zealand architect D.Ross It took two years and nine months to complete and cost £42,000.
|Address:||Miller Street, Northbridge, 2063|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.817759|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||1788|
|Actual Event End Date:||1988|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
HISTORIC BRIDGES OF NEW SOUTH WALES
SUSPENSION BRIDGE at Northbridge
Designed by J.E.F.Coyle and Prof. W.H. Warren for the North Sydney Investment and Tramway Co, the original bridge was intended to promote residential development. After its competion in January 1892, builder Alexander Johnston collected tolls when the company became bankrupt. Acquired by the State Government in 1912, the bridge carried trams from 1914 until 1936.
Erected to celebrate Australia`s Bicentenary in 1988 by the Department of Main Roads and the National Roads and Motorists Association