www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Palmer Institute SitePrint Page Print this page

17-May-2014
17-May-2014

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The stone cairn, which contains the restored foundation stone, was erected at the site of the former Palmer Institute as a project to commemorate the nation`s bicentenary in 1988. 

The Bicentenary marked the 200th anniversary of the arrival of the First Fleet in Sydney in 1788. Captain Arthur Phillip (1738–1814), commander of the First Fleet, established the foundations of a British colony at Sydney Cove on the 26 January 1788. 

The Australian Bicentennial Authority (ABA) was set up to plan, fund and coordinate projects that emphasized the nation's cultural heritage.

 

Location

Address:Randell Road, Palmer, 5237
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.851615
Long: 139.159137
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

This Stone
Was Laid By
Sir Samuel Davenport, K.C.M.G.
On The 10th Day Of September 1896.

Plaque :

Australia
1788 - 1988

Site & Foundation Stone
of Palmer Institute

An Australian Bicentennial Project To Commemorate The Nation`s Bicentenary In 1988

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design