Pioneer MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The memorial commemorates the pioneers of Tumby Bay District.

The bay was first explored and given the name Tumby Bay by Captain Matthew Flinders in 1802, after a parish in Lincolnshire, England. In 1840 Governor Gawler renamed the bay Harvey('s) Bay after one other district's early settlers.Then on 15 November 1900 the town of Tumby was proclaimed by Governor Tennyson, and the name of the bay itself reverted to Tumby Bay. On 14 June 1984 the town officially became known as Tumby Bay.

The earliest settlers to the district arrived in the 1840s, and farmed the area with wheat and sheep predominantly. The town soon grew into an important grain storage and loading point, with a jetty constructed in 1874, only the second to be built on the Eyre Peninsula. This provided a much needed outlet for the copper ore which was coming from the Burrowing Mine. The town's first school was opened in 1881 as 'Tumby', and the district's first hospital opened in 1913.



Address:Tumby Terrace, Tumby Bay, 5605
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.377028
Long: 136.103318
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 25th August, 1978
Front Inscription

To Commemorate The
Of The Tumby Bay District
Donated By C. A. Darling

This Memorial Was Unvieled (sic)
Cr. Ivy. K. Freeman
Allan C. McNamara Esq
25th August 1978

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design