Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque - Site of Coogee Pier and Shark NetPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of the site.
1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. It is the bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales.
In October 1987, on the recommendation of the Randwick Bicentennial Community Committee, the Council undertook a project to give permanent recognition to buildings and sites throughout the City that have particular historical significance. With funding provided by the Australian Bicentennial Authority through its National Heritage and Environment Program, a plaque was designed and manufactured by Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company.
Construction of the Coogee Pleasure Pier was commenced in 1924 by a private company, the Coogee Ocean Pier Company with a project budget of 250,000 pounds. Large crowds gathered to watch the first pile being driven on 24th July 1926. Radio stations 2BL and 2KY made live broadcasts of proceedings. The shark net, which cost 6750 pounds, was made possible with the construction of the pier. It stretched half way across the bay and was attached to one of the pylons of the pier. The occasion of the shark net's official opening was made grander by the additional unveiling of the new Giles' Ocean Baths and the new surf sheds. The celebration was promoted as "Come to Coogee" Week and attracted a crowd of 135,000 people.
|Address:||Arden Street, Foreshore, Coogee, 2034|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.920952|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Monument Designer:||Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
1788 – 1988
"Site of Coogee Pier and Shark Net"
Coogee Pleasure Pier, modeled on similar English seaside pavilions and piers, was opened near this site on 24th July 1928 at height of Coogee's popularity as a seaside resort.
Diminishing use and storm damage led to pier superstructure demolition in 1934.
Following construction of pier, a sharkproof enclosure was added and officially opened on 16th November 1929 leading to introduction of night surfing. Net survived until demolished for security purposes during World War II
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.