Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque - High Cross PrecinctPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of High Cross Precinct bounded by by Avoca Street, Belmore Road, and Cuthill Street.
1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. It is the bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales.
|Address:||Avoca Street & Belmore Road, Cuthill Street , Randwick, 2031|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.917423|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Monument Designer:||Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
1788 – 1988
" High Cross Precinct"
ROYAL HOTEL - built for Thomas Browne 1887.
'EDITH' and 'ESSEX' - private dwellings Cuthill Street built c.1890
HOSPITAL COMPLEX - dating from mid-19th century. Originally Destitute Children's Asylum. Used as military and repatriation hospital from 1915 to 1953 when renamed Prince of Wales Hospital.
- Edmund Blackett Block - designed by Edmund Blackett. Erected 1856-1864 for Society of Destitute Children, sheltered 6000 children between 1858 and 1915. Dr Cuthill, Medical Officer of Society bequeathed money for building.
- Catherine Hayes Hospital - built 1870 as hospital for inmates of Asylum. Building named after famous Irish singer who donated funds for its construction.
- Administration Building - designed by J. Horbury Hunt as residence for superintendents of Asylum. Erected 1863. Later used as residence for Medical Superintendents.
SITE OF RANDWICK ODEON - corner Belmore Road and High Street. Began operations as picture theatre named "Kismet" c.1922, later renamed "Odeon" - closed 6th June, 1980.
SITE OF "STAR AND GARTER" INN - erected c.1859 by William Ellis, Randwick Alderman, for use as "Star and Garter Inn". In 1869 acquired by Captain Thomas Watson. Tower erected 1870s. Accommodated various private schools until purchased in 1897 by Hannan family who owned property and operated butchery until 1985. Building extensively refurbished 1987.
CAPTAIN COOK STATUE - sculpted by Walter McGill and paid for by funds organized by Captain Thomas Watson. Erected 1874.
GOLDRING HOUSE - dwellings and business premises Avoca Street. Erected c.1886 by William Mears.
"CORONA" and "HYGEIA' - reputed to have been constructed in 1898 by Elizabeth Callaghan, wife of the late judge Thomas Callaghan.
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.