Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque - Newmarket PrecinctPrint Page Print this page

Plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of the Newmarket precinct.

1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. It is the bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales.

In October 1987, on the recommendation of the Randwick Bicentennial Community Committee, the Council undertook a project to give permanent recognition to buildings and sites throughout the City that have particular historical significance. With funding provided by the Australian Bicentennial Authority through its National Heritage and Environment Program, a plaque was designed and manufactured by Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company.



Address:Young Street, Newmarket Precinct, Randwick, 2031
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.923147
Long: 151.237206
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1788
Approx. Event End Date:1988
Monument Designer:Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription

1788 – 1988
"Newmarket Precinct"
"Newmarket' was built as 'Newmarket Hotel' by John Dillon in 1861. Property, including site of 'Big Stable' sold to James White, grazier and chairman of A.J.C.
'The Big Stable' built c.1880. A number of prominent racing men including Thomas Payten, Jim Pike, William Inglis and Son and W.J. Smith owned and leased stable.
During World War II used as detention barracks. After war as laminex factory.
Recently restored and returned to its original use by its present owners Wm. Inglis and Son.
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.

Source: RCCP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design