Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque - Blenheim House Print Page
Plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of the dwelling.
1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. It is the bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales.
In October 1987, on the recommendation of the Randwick Bicentennial Community Committee, the Council undertook a project to give permanent recognition to buildings and sites throughout the City that have particular historical significance. With funding provided by the Australian Bicentennial Authority through its National Heritage and Environment Program, a plaque was designed and manufactured by Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company.
|Address:||17 Blenheim Street, Blenheim House, Randwick, 2031|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.916163|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Monument Designer:||Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
1788 – 1988
Completed in January 1848 by Simeon Henry Pearce (later Randwick's first mayor) on 1.6 hectare block bought from George Hooper market gardener.
First Anglican service in district was held at Blenheim House during Pearce's residency.
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.