Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque - St Judes Church PrecinctPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of the church precinct.
1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. It is the bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales.
In October 1987, on the recommendation of the Randwick Bicentennial Community Committee, the Council undertook a project to give permanent recognition to buildings and sites throughout the City that have particular historical significance. With funding provided by the Australian Bicentennial Authority through its National Heritage and Environment Program, a plaque was designed and manufactured by Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company.
|Address:||106-108 Avoca Street, St Judes , Randwick, 2031|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.912036|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Monument Designer:||Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
1788 – 1988
"St Judes Church Precinct
The Rectory - built 1870 to a design attributed to Colonial architect Edmund Blackett. (First rector Rev. Henry McCormack)
St Jude's church - built 1865 to design inspired by St John's Church, Randwick, Gloucestershire, England. Contains the only ringable steel eight bells in the world. Originally cast 1864 at Vickers, England. Hung 1872. Tower heightened 1877 to accommodate clock. Transepts added 1889 to design of architect H.M. Robinson.
The Cemetery - burial ground since c. 1840s. Pioneers buried in this cemetery include Simeon Pearce, Obed West, Charles D'Arcy Wentworth, Archibald Mosman, Sir Alfred Stephen, Ann Hordern and Henry Mort.
Verger's Residence - built 1862 to design of architect Thomas Rowe as Randwick's first Council Borough Chambers. Purchased by St Jude's in 1895.
School Hall - built 1899 as "St Jude's Church of England School Hall"
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.