Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque - Aston Lodge Print Page
Plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of Aston Lodge.
1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia. It is the bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales.
In October 1987, on the recommendation of the Randwick Bicentennial Community Committee, the Council undertook a project to give permanent recognition to buildings and sites throughout the City that have particular historical significance. With funding provided by the Australian Bicentennial Authority through its National Heritage and Environment Program, a plaque was designed and manufactured by Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company.
|Address:||Avoca & Stanley Streets, Emanuel School, Randwick, 2031|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.907624|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Monument Designer:||Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
1788 – 1988
Includes Saunders Administration House formerly known as "Aston Lodge". Designed by Edmund Blackett. Built 1865 for John Watkins merchant and Randwick alderman. Later occupied by Walter Bradley Randwick Mayor 1870-1872 and 1874. Used as a girls school 1890s. Acquired in 1901 by Little Sisters of the Poor. Chapel constructed 1921. Central Novitiate erected 1936 to plans of E.R.Green.
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.