Winchelsea District Pioneers Sesquicentenary Print Page
Plaque erected to remember the pioneers of Winchelsea district 1835 -1985.
European settlement of the Winchelsea area began in the mid-1830s as squatters and pioneers spread westwards from the Port Phillip Bay settlement, which was established in 1835. The township that developed alongside the Barwon River at this site was first known as 'Austin's Ford'. It was subsequently renamed 'The Barwon' before becoming 'Winchelsea', a name taken from an English port.
|Address:||Princes Highway, Old Public Library , Winchelsea , 3241|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.240592|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1835|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1985|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1985|
REMEMBERING THE PIONEERS
1835 - 1985
WINCHELSEA HISTORICAL SOCIETY