Centenary of the Official Naming of Jenolan CavesPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The plaque commemorates the Centenary of the official naming of Jenolan Caves in 1884.

The caves, then known as the Fish River Caves, came under New South Wales Government control in 1866, becoming only the second area in the world reserved for the purpose of conservation and the following year Jeremiah Wilson was appointed as the first "Keeper of the Caves".

The caves were open to tourism early, but there was little protection from visitors damaging formations until souveniring was banned in 1872. In 1884 the name Jenolan Caves was adopted. The name "Jenolan" comes from the Gundungurra word, "Genowlan", the for a "high place shaped like a foot".


Address:4655 Jenolan Caves Road, Grand Arch Entrance, Jenolan, 2790
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.818915
Long: 150.023591
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event STart Date:19-August-1884
Actual Event End Date:19-August-1984


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 19th August, 1984
Front Inscription


The Official Naming of Jenolan Caves
(Formerly- "Fish River Caves")
19th August 1884

This plaque nnveiled by Mr. Harold G. Coates, O.B.E.,
(Patron of J.C.H.A.P.S)

19th August 1984

Jenolan Caves Historical & Preservation Society

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design