www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Ludwig Leichhardt ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

A monument commemorates Ludwig Leichhardt`s exploration of the area in 1845.

The first explorer to visit the Peak Downs region was Ludwig Leichhardt and his fellow journeymen, early in 1845 on their way to the Northern Territory. On February 13th of that year, Ludwig camped by the banks of a dry riverbed. He named this river the Isaac River, in honour of a Darling Downs man, Mr Frank Isaac. Mr Isaac had earlier supported the explorer, by offering him some bullocks for his quest. Leichhardt missed the current site of Moranbah by only a few kilometres, and was the only explorer ever to come that close.

Location

Address:Peak Downs Highway, Isaac River Rest Area , Moranbah, 4744
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -22.048857
Long: 148.131126
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 27th February, 1988
Front Inscription
IN COMMEMORATION OF THE LEICHHARDT EXPEDITION
                           1844 - 1845
Ludwig Leichhardt And Party Passed This Location On The 25th February 1845 During Their Successful Journey Of Discovery Commencing At Jimbour On The Darling Downs On 1st Of October 1844 And Terminating On 17th December 1845 At Port Essington N.T. A Distance Of Over 4000klm. 

Friedrich Wilhelm Ludwig Leichhardt - Leader
John Gilbert                               William Phillips
James Snowden Calvert           John Murphy
John Roper                                Harry Brown 
                                                  Charley Fisher

                          Erected By
                       Mackay Members
              Institution Of Surveyors Australia
                    Queensland Division

                   In Association With
          Moranbah Bi-Centennial Committee

           "In The Steps Of Our Forefathers" 
                    Bi-Centennial Project 
                      27 - 2 - 1988

 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design