200th Anniversary of the European Discovery of Tamar RiverPrint Page Print this page

Discovery of Tamar River
Discovery of Tamar River

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

A plaque commemorates the 200th anniversary of the European discovery of the Tamar River by George Bass & Matthew Flinders in the sloop "Norfolk."

On October 7, 1798, Bass, this time accompanied by Flinders, sailed from Port Jackson in the sloop Norfolk. .By December 9, 1798, Flinders was able to record:

"The land which lays immediately to the southward and about 3 miles distant from the larger of the two high, steep islands is what we now consider to be the N.W. point of Van Diemen's Land, for the direction of the coast, the set of the tides, and the great swell from the S.W., did now completely satisfy us that a wide strait did really exist between Van Diemen's Land and New South Wales."

Bass and Flinders circumnavigated the newly identified island, exploring the Tamar and Derwent river inlets which would later become the sites for new settlements. They spent Christmas in the deep, sheltered waters of the Derwent River and then sailed north up the east coast to arrive back at Port Jackson on January 12, 1799.


Address:East Tamar Highway, Low Head, 7253
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.06
Long: 146.789722
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event STart Date:03-November-1798
Actual Event End Date:03-November-1798


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1998
Front Inscription

To commemorate the 200th anniversary of the discovery of the Tamar River by George Bass and Matthew Flinders in the sloop "Norfolk" on 3rd November 1798.

Unveiled by His Excellency the Hon. Sir Guy Green AC, KBE Governor of Tasmania

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design